Volunteering is a great way for young adults to give back to the local community. Many colleges look for community in their applicants. Agnesian HealthCare offers a dedicated summer program for teens to volunteer in the non-school months. Students looking for a year-round opportunity should apply through the Volunteer Application, on previous page.
Who should consider being a summer volunteer?
- College students
- Former/returning student volunteers
- High school students 15 years of age by June 1
What is involved with being a summer volunteer?
- Assignment specific training
- Following Agnesian HealthCare associate health requirements
- Orientation to Agnesian HealthCare
- Working collaboratively with peers and those in authority
What can I expect as a summer volunteer?
When it comes to volunteering, it’s not like school: instead of having choices made for you, you get to pick. You can choose what really interests you and what’s most deserving of your time. We offer a variety of assignments, from direct patient interaction, to behind the scenes work. There is a lot to be done to make any healthcare facility run smoothly.
- Delivering food trays
- Filing/paper packet assembly projects
- Greeting guests
- Provider and/or patient interactions
- Transporting patients in wheelchairs
What are the summer volunteer requirements?
Our summer program is runs approximately 12 weeks from mid-June until the end of August. We do ask for an average of 4 hours per week, with a minimum commitment of 35 hours total.
Shift times will vary depending on location placement and assignment:
What are the benefits of volunteering?
Each time a volunteer provides service on the campus, they are able to receive $1 per day discount at the Ripon Medical Center Journeys Commons, Creekside Café, Café Coffee or Waupun Memorial Cafeteria during their shift. Other benefits include:
- Experience personal growth
- Most colleges prefer applicants with community service experience
- Professional experience in the healthcare industry
- Strengthen your community, by giving back locally
- Volunteers gain a sense of self-worth
Where can I volunteer?
Agnesian HealthCare offers a variety of volunteer opportunities throughout all of the ministries. Some of the opportunities in the hospital programs include greeters, wheelchair transporters, gift shop, clerical assistance, customer service and a variety of other opportunities depending on department needs. Services are provided on the hospital campuses and Agnesian HealthCare off-site areas as well, see list:
- Adult Day Services
- Health Plaza Buildings A & B
- Hospice Home of Hope
- Ripon Medical Center
- St. Agnes Hospital
- St. Francis Home
- Treffert Center
- Waupun Memorial Hospital
How do I become a summer student volunteer?
Becoming a volunteer is really quite simple, but of course there are some guidelines we must follow to protect the health of the patients we serve. All NEW volunteers must interview with a coordinator, meet current vaccination requirements, and consent to a criminal background check-if over 18.
New Student Volunteers
- Apply online
- Attend interview session (dates will be emailed after online application is completed)
- Collect two letters of reference
- Complete health & forms requirements
- RSVP to save a seat at an orientation session
- Attend orientation
Returning Student Volunteers
If you are a returning student volunteer, please follow the steps below
- EMAIL: AGN-Volunteer@ssmhealth.com
- SUBJECT LINE: RETURNING STUDENT
- BODY: your name, phone #
- You will receive a response with further information.
Orientation & Training Information
Attendance at orientation is mandatory for both new and returning students. Pre-registration is required for one of the sessions listed below:
- Saturday, May 19, 2018 9-12om, Plaza Level Conference Center, St. Agnes Hospital
- Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5-8pm, Plaza Level Conference Center, St. Agnes Hospital
Students will receive additional service specific training with staff and/or volunteer mentor upon starting.