Here are some basic tips for getting a good night's sleep:
- Get up at the same time every day.
- Try to sleep only when drowsy.
- Maintain a relaxing pre-sleep routine. This may include a warm bath (one to two hours before bedtime), relaxation exercises or quiet reading.
- Keep the bedroom dark, cool and quiet while sleeping.
- If you are unable to fall asleep or stay asleep, get out of bed and engage in quiet activity such as reading. Return to bed only when sleepy.
- Exercise regularly, but do not exercise vigorously within several hours of bedtime.
- Keep a consistent daily schedule for meals, medication, and other activities.
- Long naps can disturb your nighttime sleep. If necessary, 20 to 30 minute naps in the early afternoon are best.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol within four hours of bedtime.
- Avoid nicotine near bedtime.
Share This On...