As you’ve heard, walking is one of the greatest and easiest exercises we can do. There are other simple steps that you can take to lose weight, get fit, and experience optimal health and be your best self! Here are a few small steps you can take now to make a big difference in the long run.
Young couple jogging together in park - rear view
Success will never be a big step in the future. Success is a small step taken just now. -Jonathan Martensson
- Keep track of your fruits and veggies…eat more! The optimal is 10 servings a day. Not sure what a serving is? Start making a list. A great idea is to make a list of your go to choices that you can cross off on a daily basis. When you hit zero, you’re good! If 10 is a shock to you, start with five, then work up to seven. Still a shock? Start at three, and move to five and so on. Eating more is about what that MORE is…
- Lose weight with color. Your plate should be colorful. Eat fruits and vegetables of all colors to get what your body needs.
- Red or pinks – apples, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes, red bell peppers, radishes, grapefruit
- Yellow – bananas, pineapple, corn, yellow bell peppers, yellow squash
- Purple – eggplant, grapes, plums, raisins
- White – cauliflower, onion, mushrooms
- Blue - blueberries
- Orange – carrots, oranges, cantaloupe, peaches, mangoes, sweet potatoes
- Green – asparagus, avocado, kiwi, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, peas, celery, zucchini
- Remember MY PLATE. Half of your plate should be fruits and vegetables at every meal to get that 10 in! A total of 50 to 55 percent of a plate should be fruits and vegetables, 20 to 25 percent protein, and 20 to 25 percent complex carbs (grains)… and dairy
- Add BERRIES to your breakfast…
- Dip them…careful…not in Ranch dressing, not in cheese…but in LOW calorie Greek yogurt. You can add dill or herbs to season and spice this up. Or dip in salsa…skip the high calorie no nutritional value chips. Yogurt is a great source of protein, probiotics for your gut and calcium/dairy.
- Load up. Get your booty to the store, and get those fruits and vegetables! Prepackage and wash on a weekly basis or every couple of days to make your own GREEN grab and goes! It’s quick and easy to do and saves you tons of money and calories to do this yourself!
- Enjoy “fast food.” The grab and goes above become your NEW fast food…that is healthy and easy to eat and take…minus the guilt, fat, simple sugars, chemicals and weight GAIN of other fast food. Take a new route home if the car seems to go on autopilot into a drive through…we have 226.7 food choices a day to make (per research I’ve read) so take each opportunity as a new choice to make and a healthy choice to make!