Closeup on grain oats and oatmeal with fruits
Written by: Susie Riek, APNP, Agnesian Work & Wellness
Our days are busy, we work hard. With high octane fuel in our tanks, we can get the energy we need. Here's how:
- Choose whole grains - Oatmeal and oat based cold cereals are best. Look for "steel cut," muesli and Kashi brand. No instant oatmeal - it's loaded with sugar.
- Read labels - Cereal with >5g fiber, <300mg sodium and <10g sugar per serving is what to shoot for. The daily requirement for fiber is about 30g.
- Include high quality lean protein - Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt. Eggs scrambled with leftover roasted veggies is so fast and easy. Almond butter on toast, low-fat cottage cheese sprinkled with sunflower seeds are a great option.
- Reach for whole fruit! Variety is key.
- Say NO to fast food breakfasts and sugar laden donuts and muffins.
- Make a smoothie, or 2 or 3. Drink one and freeze the others for later in the week.