Mexican-Style Chicken Soup
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- I tsp. ground cumin
- 1 quart reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ¼ lb. plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 4.5oz. can green chiles
- 1 15oz. can hominy, drained, or 2 cups frozen corn
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, oregano and cumin; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, chiles, hominy and salt. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chicken; simmer 10 minutes more. Stir in the cilantro.
- Ladle into individual bowls and serve garnished with the avocado slices and the lime wedge.
Share This On...