Search for your next healthy recipe on In Good Health!
1 lb. (about 3) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 onions, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 fresh corn tortillas
- 2 cups tomatillo sauce
- Black Pepper
- Cilantro Sprigs
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Combine the chicken, garlic, 1 onion, bay leaves, oregano, and salt in saucepan. Add enough water to cover chicken and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to simmer and cook for 35 minutes, or until the inside of the chicken is no longer pink.
- Allow chicken to cool in broth. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat by pulling apart the fibers of the chicken with your fingers.
- Slice the remaining onion. Heat the oil in a sauté pan, add the onion, and sauté until limp and translucent. Toss the chicken with the onion and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- To build enchiladas, you will need to create an assembly line consisting of a plate you’ll microwave tortillas on, a sauté pan used for heating the sauce, and the bowl containing the shredded chicken and onion. To get started, microwave your tortilla between two moist paper towels for about 30 seconds. Remove the paper towels and coat tortilla with sauce. Place about ¼ cup of the shredded chicken in the center, and roll.
- Lay the assembled enchilada on a serving platter, seam-side down, and repeat. When you’ve assembled all the enchiladas you need, pour the remaining sauce over and top with remaining ingredients.
Share This On...