If you need a quick reboot to your life and this is the year you want to get healthy and change your lifestyle, I have five steps to start that change. Remember it takes 21 days to build a habit, then the concentrated effort will reduce, but you still need to be mindful of your choices. Every start gives you a boost, and in day three to four, you will feel your motivation wane…push through today seven! You will then feel accomplished and God will give you that boost again. This will be the cycle of change – be aware of days three to four and stand strong each weekly cycle! Keep pressing forward and after three cycles of building you will reach a lifestyle change at day 63 (21 x 3) and be ready to add another SMART goal! Continue this process to make your lifestyle changes. Also remember, change is cyclical. If you “fail” you will need to restart the cycle. Starting with denial, awareness or pre-contemplation, contemplation and action for change. We cannot live or stay on a mountain top, life happens. We must be resilient, reboot and keep striving with God’s help this is doable and lives can be changed! Lifestyles can change and it will change you.
Here are your five steps to reboot your New Year!
- Determine a schedule to move – three days a week to start for the first month. State using your name, Joe Fit will exercise three times a week. Committing out load helps, saying it someone for accountability, even better!
- Determine how long you can move in each session. Use your name in each sentence…
_______ has time for three, 10-minute exercise sessions or ______ has time for one 20-minute and one 10-minute session.
- Move and sweat basically said… you need to work at an intensity that will help achieve health benefits – more energy, lightened mood, stress relieve, a clear mind…not to mention the pour cleanse from the sweat…and lose weight. The target heart rate range of 65 to 80 percent is what you are shooting for. You should be able to talk, but not sing a song if you are working out hard enough.
- Determine the amount of calories you should be taking in (nine to 10 times your current body weight) that will give you a range to start with. You can also focus on the five to 10 servings of fruit and veggies a day and only eat foods that are part of the four food groups. For example – fast food is not in the food groups – skip it. Eat lean proteins (25 percent of your plate), whole grains (25 percent) of your plate and 50 percent of your plate is fruits and veggies. Skip the foods that aren’t fuel and are empty, waste calories…you would be amazed by replacing poor food choices with proper ones how your energy level will increase, your gut bloat from sugar and refined carbs will go away, and you will experience weight loss.
- Add more water to your days…we are 70 percent water…often times the feeling of “hunger” or wanting to graze is actually dehydration…you do not need the food.